The priority objective of the URIAARK activity consists in carrying out scientific-theoretical, normative and methodological researches in the field of archival affairs and records keeping in Ukraine.
The main activities of the URIAARK are:
– carrying out theoretical and applied researches on archival and records studies;
– normative, organizational-methodical and information-analytical providence of state archival establishments in the system of the State Archival Service;
– coordination of research activities of state establishments in the system of the State Archival Service;
– international cooperation with relevant agencies and organizations;
– postgraduate preparation of scientific staff for archival field;
– appraisal of scientific papers and theses, reviewing textbooks and manuals, consultancy on scientific theses, taking of PhD entrance exams;
– preparing materials for publishing periodical and non-periodical editions on records keeping, archival affairs and special historical disciplines;
– organizing conferences, symposia, seminars, round tables on national and international levels;
– partaking in formation and appraising of content of education and training of specialists in the field of archival affairs, records studies and records keeping;
– author's supervising the use of scientific developments of the URIAARK and securing protection of intellectual property rights.
In accordance with the purpose determined by the Charter, and taking into account the specificity of activity, the URIAARK performs other kinds of scientific and educational activities not prohibited by legislation.
The main activities and researches of departments: